Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

sleeping on the floor

...and loving it!

So the townhouse didn't work out. And my ex let us stay with him for the remainder of our wait for the permanent place. A friend lent me an inflatable mattress. I was set.

Unfortunately those mattresses are best enjoyed for a day or two; they're not for long-term use. Their structure and composition mean that the very part of my body which requires the most support receives the least, so my back's been talking to me. Nothing serious; just letting me know...

Last night I tried sleeping on a foam pad - the kind you take camping - on the floor. I awoke rested and energized. I didn't toss and turn, trying to get comfortable. My back is happy!

What's the lesson from this? Simple: often the simple solution is best. Occam's razor.

It's also a reminder to appreciate simple things; a good night's sleep, waking up happy. I learn that all those things I thought I needed - a firm king-size bed, designer lamp, heck even a private bedroom - are superfluous, so long as I have a firm floor and a home full of people I love.