Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Abundance and the Laundry Tub


I had a little lesson in abundance the other day. Our house has recently sold. I plan to live off the profits for three years while I write my book. I know there is enough money and have been working on trust and faith. I’ve made great inroads too – no more middle of the night panic attacks; no doubting my abilities or direction. And yet, when the house did sell I regressed to an anxious state of what if lawyer’s fees and realtor commissions eat up all my money? …. what if I have to pay huge amounts of tax? What if what if.

I was as anxious about having money as I was about not having money. And I concerned myself with hanging onto that abundance.

The universe has shown me – about a million times – that it supports what I am doing and the path I am on. The universe wants me to write and so long as I keep doing that I am fine. 

So why stress out? It was more of a relapse to a previous way of being, where life is hard and nothing comes easy. I wanted to hold on to my money; not trusting the universe to keep it flowing into my life.

So how does this involve the titular laundry tub?

In my life water often symbolizes abundance. Water from the washing machine drains into the laundry tub, and drains from there. The very day the sale was official, that sink’s drain got a little plugged and drained very slowly, while more water from the washer flowed in to the sink. Of course the sink overflowed (just a bit – luckily I was there). I toweled up the overflow and unplugged the drain, which gave me the chance to ponder what happens when we hold on to abundance instead of allowing it to flow in and out of our lives. Too much abundance can be as destructive as too little. Just enough is just right, and we need to develop our trust in life to flow just enough abundance into our lives.

Here’s to the laundry sinks of our lives.