Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Divorce as a success

 Divorce is so often seen as a failure, but I think there are times when it is a success. It's better to live separately happily than be miserable together.

My grandmother-in-law sent us a letter telling me to reunite with my husband. I found it interesting that people who don't even know the details of my life would presume to tell me how to live it. Would assume they know best.

I'm not insulted or upset. She loves us and is motivated by love and fear. But I'm sure glad I don't feel the need for a lot of support by others, because I'm certainly not getting it from a lot of people. Maybe they think divorce is contagious ;)

But really, when I think back to a year ago, despite the confusion and upheaval I am much - much much much - happier now. Way less sense of security, although an odd sense of security comes from giving up seeking security. I no longer pretend that anything in life can be secure.

I am living the way I want with my kids, without an opposing - and often negating - point of view. Is it just coincident that all of a sudden we go for walks, cook together, read together and do yoga together? My kids who never wanted to do anything now spend lots of time with me, and it's enjoyable and healthy.