Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Managing my own money

Just got back from an update meeting with my banker. For the first time in ages I am managing my own money and it feels great.

It’s funny to notice how old-fashioned I had been in letting my husband make most of the financial decisions and actions. He is very good with money, and worked for the bank for ages, so was comfortable with the ins and outs of accounts and money management.

It’s not that I’m incapable or stupid, but what a lovely treat to give your money over to someone you trust implicitly (and who has personal investment in the outcomes), and just show up at the meetings, murmuring “you know best, honey.”

I had completely disempowered myself. I wanted nothing to do with money; hence money became scary because I had no idea of our assets and liabilities. When my husband told me we could or couldn’t afford something, I believed him.

While I earn considerably less that he does, for the first time since we moved in together, I feel financially empowered.

I know that I am good with money. Even as a student, I made my money grow by investing my student loans until and unless I absolutely needed the cash.

I look forward to once again handling my own money, to working with my banker until I understand the options and benefits, and even to making regular contributions to charity.

Money management - it’s a gift!