Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Divorce as a spiritual quest

For two or three years before separating from my husband, I knew I was unhappy in the marriage but was not ready to make any decisions. I knew I was waiting until I felt strongly that we would stay together or separate, so I decided to put that time to good use.

I had been able to see clearly his faults and shortcomings, but had learned that I could not change him, so I decided to focus on me and my behaviour.

I thought that I would develop the best me I could. It wouldn’t hurt and may make staying together possible. I wasn’t ready at that point to shoulder any of the blame, but I did recognize that I was not yet perfect.

So I decided to grow. I read articles online, visited websites, reserved library books, listened to tapes, and even watched Dr Phil. I journalled, painted and explored. I cried and walked, swam and grew.

Somewhere along the way my reading path changed from relationships to self-help, then to introspection, then to philosophy and now spirituality.

I tried to save a foundering marriage and found my soul.