Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Waiting

For the first time in possibly my entire life I do not feel like I am waiting.

I had always assumed I would marry and have kids. I waited to find a guy - the right guy. Then I waited for him to ask me to marry him. After marriage, I waited to have kids. I got pregnant and looked forward to the birth. Then I waited to have another, got pregnant again and looked forward to that birth.

Caring for babies and little kids is hard work, so I waited for them to be able to feed themselves, to get out of diapers, talk, to walk, to grow up a bit and go to school.

I waited for them to be able to walk themselves to and from school. Then I waited for them to come home.

I waited to go back to work, to find work I liked. I waited to restart my life, reconnect with old friends, get my figure back.

I waited for my husband to  spend more time with me, with us, with the kids. I waited for our marriage to get better. I waited to be happy.

I waited to sell our house, to move, to get settled. Now I am waiting no longer and it feels great.

There is an expanded post on waiting and happiness at Esperanza Spiritulata.